Monday, August 15, 2011

College Essay #2- Social Issue


Ernesto Tobon

08/15/2011

            Dreams, hope, love, friendship are many of the things we, as human beings, all seek regardless of where in the world we are. I walk around my city, I see how little appreciation people show for their environment, the littering of the streets; I think to myself, what I can do? I do not have any answers.   I continue walking my path, listening to the song “Secret Garden” a melody, which carries me with its symphony to magical places.  I travel to a place where everything is perfect, a place where there is only nature.  Yet when I see the cruel reality that surrounds me, everything changes. I ask myself, why human kind disrespects our planet in such a way. Within me, I can only hear one voice that tells me “Change the world”.  All of a sudden, there is silence. Then I see the news on television, I see the contrast between what is happening in nature and at the same time how it correlates to what is happening around the world.
            There are many problems affecting nature that are closely related to the struggles of a country’s need to balance their social needs while protecting the environment.  This struggle affects millions of people, including me. Humans are killing animals, without consideration for them.  Animals may love and have little babies and that is taken from them. It is the same as what the government of the United States is doing with illegal immigrants.   They are deporting and separating families. Last year, I went to the zoo I saw animals and  I thought, these animals in the zoo are innocent prisoners, then I see the contrast between the jail because many of innocent people going to jail even if they are innocent. Another problem is the traffic of exotic animals that are caught by hunters then are sold to other people; it is the same as the traffic of little kids. This and more problems are affecting all the people in the world.
            It is time to make a change in this world. Many situations affect us like a fresh breeze, which creates a hurricane that destroys what it finds.  Destruction of people, animals, cities, etc are continually present in today’s world. Earthquakes killing millions of people, creating problems like a blue water tsunami. I have so many thoughts, problems, questions, and am left with nothing to say.  Months pass, and people continue destroying nature by not learning from their actions. Wars visible in different countries around the world.  Wars, killing the beauty of nature, killing their own people, killing our people, destroying dreams, hope, friendship, destroying love. I spend day thinking. What is happening? Why? Pure silence then there is a voice saying, “don’t look back, look at the future and change the world”. That voice gives me the strength to think in what I can do.
            After all these problems the world is facing, we can change the way is now, we can decide the destiny of this planet, we can make the correct decision, but before this we should appreciate and think of the beautiful things that this world has for all of us. If only we can kiss the rain, feel it with our hands, if only we can see the moonlight, see the moon reflecting on the blue ocean making the sound of harmony. If only we can forget all the problems and do not refuge in the past, all the problems will disappear. If only we cooperate as one nation, as the world we are, we can do things better and make this world the best. If we can change the world, all of these problems will disappear in the darkness and the sun will shine covering with his light the entire world.   

No comments:

Post a Comment